Friday, February 3, 2012

Health care in Mexico

I was going to write a Blog on health care here in Mexico.  Since I didn't know anyone with first hand experience,  it was going to take a lot of legwork on my part.  That all changed one week ago.  I experienced a Transient Ischemic Attack, or what is called a mini-stroke.  Seven out of ten of all strokes are mini-strokes.  The episode lasted about an hour and a half.  Debbi was working in the horse pasture.  I was so confused that I didn't know what was happening.  I was writing on the computer, but the sentences weren't written correctly.  I couldn't pull the correct words or phrases out of my brain.  I recognized objects, but I could not remember their names.

I finally knew something was not right.  I went outside and Debbi could see there was a problem with me mentally.  Physically, I was fine, no paralysis or anything like that.  We went to the local clinic.  My initial check-up was done by a G.P.  Two hours later I was seen by a Neurologist.  He set up an MRI in Guadalajara and arranged an appointment for me to see a Cardiologist.  I had all the usual blood tests also.  When I finished the MRI, the Neurologist was there to go over the images with me.  Everything was fine.  Whew!  The Cardiologist gave me an EKG to check my heart, and she checked my Carotid artery.  Everything was good, but, I need to return in two weeks for a stress test on my heart, and another Carotid check.  I guess Plaque can clog this artery and prevent blood getting to the brain.    

So, I found the health care in Mexico to be superb, way beyond my expectations.  The doctors will talk to you as long as you desire.  We spent one and a half hours talking to my Neurologist, who only charged us for a regular office visit, which was $55.  The cost for blood work, MRI, EKG, Carotid check and three different doctors came to around 900 dollars.  The blood work showed that I have high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.  This could have caused the mini-stroke.  I need to take Meds for about 3 months and I need to be careful what I eat.  I have no lasting physical problems.  But, I still have problems remembering correct word usage.  The Doctors said that will all return in a short period of time.  

I want to thank all of my friends and family in San Diego for being concerned about me and for calling often to see how I'm doing.  I want to also thank all my friends in the States and in Mexico who prayed for me.  That is always appreciated.  Most of you know that I believe the mind can accomplish wonderful things.  Stay positive and good things will happen.  I am still on my quest to live to be 100 years old!!
Dr. Monica Vizuet giving me a general check-up.    
The clinic is about 10 miles from our house.
Medical office for my MRI.  The rest of the photos are taken in Guadalajara.
MRI waiting room.
I have no clue why I'm smiling here.
These MRI machines are incredibly loud.  Bring ear plugs.
Dr. Gabriel Varela is my Neurologist.  He is also a Neurosurgeon.
My Cardiologist, Dra. Berenice Cuellar.
Notice how clean and orderly the offices, waiting rooms and medical machine areas are in Guadalajara.
Dra. Cuellar's office building next to Hospital Del Carmen in
Guadalajara.

No comments:

Post a Comment