Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Village

This is the time of year that I am very thankful for my friends and family.  It is also the time of year that I miss them the most.  We have been living in our Mexican village for nine months now, so, I guess you could call us newbies.  However, we are not newbies to Mexico.  My wife and I have been traveling to Mexico for forty years, and, have been to fifty different cities.  I am not fluent in Spanish, but, I get by just fine.  My accent is pretty good, so people think I'm better than I really am.                                                                                                   

Our village is San Nicolas de Ibarra, or, San Nicolas for short.  It is five miles east of Chapala.  We rent a house here from a local family, and, just recently bought a car.  For the first eight months, we took buses and taxis.  I highly recommend these modes of transportation.  We averaged 50 dollars per month for buses and taxis.  As our social network grew, we could see the need for a car.  Taxis and buses stop running at certain times and, several times, we were almost stranded.  So we bought a 1995 Jeep Cherokee with 150,000 miles.  We still plan on taking the bus whenever we can.

An added bonus of having no car meant that we had to walk throughout the village for our errands, such as paying  the electric bill.  So, by walking to these places, we would meet the local people.  If, we were driving, we would be just passing them by.  Originally, we were planning on living in a place for one year, then moving to another area of Mexico for a year, and then another place for a year.  But, the village is such a charming place, we think we will be here in San Nicolas for quite some time.

The purpose of this blog is to report our experiences of living in Mexico.  I welcome all comments, and, or criticisms.  And, since this is my first experience blogging, if you have any suggestions for me, I would really appreciate any input.  My email is  domingo444@msn.com.  Thank you,  Ken                                                                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment